Software Engineer I
SOFTWARE ENGINEER IRequisition ID
Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 15,400 retail locations in 44 states, 16 distribution centers and 135,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America’s fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let’s grow together!
The Software Engineer I (SEI) plays a supporting role in the design, coding, configuration, testing and maintenance of software applications that support business operations. Under the direction of supervision, the SEI analyzes existing systems and implements changes to existing business applications and/or designs for new initiatives, tests new and modified programs prior to production deployment, verifies data mapping and integrations, supports production deployments, creates and troubleshoots reports for business and technology teams, creates and maintains up-to-date system documentation in the form of Microsoft Office documents and provides tier-2 user support to clarify business rules for users and resolve program defects.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Writes well-designed code for new and/or existing applications.
- Executes well-documented unit test plans.
- Provides regular support for existing programs and procedures (7x24).
- Assists with system level user testing, documentation, and training.
- Works alongside other engineers on the team to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- General knowledge of database concepts within Oracle or SQL.
- General knowledge of at least one programming language.
- Must be a self-starter, adapt easily to change and have a collaborative personality.
- Demonstrates personal ownership of tasks and ability to follow through to get required results in established timeframe.
- Understanding of the systems development process and life cycle.
- Strong written, oral, and listening communication skills.
- Working understanding of waterfall or Agile development methodologies.
- Understanding of general business concepts and user procedures.
- Customer service focused with the ability to build strong working relationships with business partners.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- One year of experience in software development in an Enterprise-level IT organization or software development company is preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer related fields, Science or Engineering.
- Basic experience/familiarity with software, principles, and methods used.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.