We are looking for a software developer to join our team.
Rustici Software makes eLearning standards based software. Our software is responsible for launching and tracking standards based online learning for millions of learners. You would join a team that develops software that integrates into other software products around the world. We are a remote/in-office hybrid company located in Franklin, TN. While we give preference to local candidates, we are open to qualified remote candidates residing in the United States.
- SQL (MySQL, Postgres, SQL Server)
What will you be doing?
- Maintaining existing codebases: One or more software products and all of the ancillary tools needed to manage them. These are profitable products that have been around for 10+ years (and we expect to be around for 10+ more) and that our customers expect to work as well or better than they did last year or the year before or the year before that. There is technical debt to be paid, refinement to interfaces and implementations, bugs to squash, and processes to improve. QA is a forethought and a requirement, developing test code is just part of the work.
- Writing technical specifications for new work: Anytime we embark on larger features, we build out a technical specification, with the goal of expressing the work in English before we attempt to express it in code. We write technical specifications for the larger work we do.
- Taking new features from start to finish: We really value autonomy here at Rustici. Engineers pick up work that needs to be done and run with it until it has passed code reviews and QA.
- Identifying new work: We rely a lot on customer feedback for improvements and new features, but we rely on our engineers to listen to what customers want and provide them with what they need. We also don’t expect all the answers to come from the top down, and will look to our engineers for ideas on what to work on next.
- Weekly standups: We try to keep meetings at a minimum. Each team meets once a week to discuss the work that happened last week, and what they expect to accomplish in the coming week.
- Play and compete: The day to day may vary, but almost everyone carves out a little time every day to play ping pong, crokinole, Magic The Gathering, KanJam, or whatever people are into at the time.
About our work
Every day, millions of people around the world access valuable learning and training content powered by Rustici Software’s products. If you’ve ever taken an online course, there’s a good chance our software was running behind the scenes. We specialize in helping software vendors and organizations solve problems specific to implementing eLearning standards, such as SCORM, xAPI and cmi5. Since 2002, we’ve been sharing our expertise with our customers and the industry by providing resources for creating, delivering and distributing eLearning content. We are proud to be known as the “SCORM folks,” “eLearning nerds” and most recently, catapulting the learning industry into newer standards.
About the team
Software developers on our product teams solve problems by helping learning technology systems play well together. The team works behind the scenes building integratable software that’s used in over 450 products, like LMSs, LXPs and authoring tools to name a few. Developers work in small, autonomous teams utilizing their skills where they’re most productive and do their best work.
How we’re different
Rustici Software isn’t your average workplace. There’s a reason why we have been named Best Place to Work by Nashville Business Journal for 13 years.
Over the last 20 years, we’ve created a unique environment where people want to work and look forward to Monday. We strive not to be static. We desperately want to grow, change, and do our work better year over year. This is your chance to work with a group of people that want you to be opinionated about the work we do and how we do it. You won’t always win the arguments we participate in, but you’ll know that we deeply value your input and that your coworkers are as passionate as you.
We also take great care of the people that work here, and our benefits are unrivaled.
- 100% company paid for health, vision and dental for you AND your family, including monthly HSA company contributions starting day one
- Unlimited vacation time
- Flexible work environment: Remote/in-office hybrid company located in Franklin, TN
- 401k/Retirement (with matching up to 4% effective on day one)
- Performance-based bonuses
- Voted a Best Place to Work in Nashville for 13 years running
- Quarterly Jenafits to use toward things like gym memberships, massages, car detailing and house cleaning
- Office perks: Concierge services, gym equipment, yoga room and stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
How to apply
Check out “An Open Letter” from our Managing Director, Tammy Rutherford. It says a lot about what you need to know before applying to this job opening. You might also want to read up on our answers to the Joel Test to see how we approach software development.
Make sure that what we get from you makes it apparent that you are the right person and that this job is important to you, and that you want to work here, not just somewhere.
You will also want to spend some time on our website, learn how we think, what we do, and why we have been named a Best Place to Work by Nashville Business Journal for 13 years. Get to know us if you want us to get to know you.
Each time we hire, we wait until we find exactly the right person. If that’s you, we really hope you’ll apply. Don’t forget to include more about why you’re the right person to join our team and your answer to our developer test. Like really, we won’t look at applications that do not include the developer test source code.